Monday, April 2, 2012

Dreaming of all those bus rides!

I am making cinnamon rolls tomorrow. I am very excited, my first time doing homemade ones but I will have the assistance of a friend so I shouldn’t mess it up too much. I will definitely take pictures!! Food is an important part of my Peace Corps service!!
So I have not left the country yet, and that is a little bit of a bummer but the true is when you travel the novelty of going to a new place kind of wears off. Now I want to travel and also have a meaningful experience or memory from the place. So here is the plan of where and what I would like to do:
Namibia: I have to go skydiving and quad biking. The seafood is also an obvious must have when going to a coastal country. I would like to see the seals, but the stories of the smell are somewhat off putting. Though, I might be able to get some good pictures. 
Zambia: I have to raft the river, since I got to do it in Jinja, Uganda. I also want to make a return to the Devil’s Pool so I can get a better jumping picture since I am sure I won’t fall of the ledge and die this time.
South Africa: There are a couple of festivals, plays and events I would like to attend. A poetry slam would be great. I also am eyeing dance and film festivals that are happening in the coming months. I would absolutely love to go to a TED conference, but getting the correct info and contacts seems to be just a little more difficult than back home. (The TED event in Tanzania for now will have to be added to the bucket list, when money is not so elusive). I also have to go to Durban and eat bunny chow and actually get in the waters (I am sorry but Cape Town is too cold, though I love those beautiful sun-bathing rocks...good for pics). I am debating whether I should just go to the aquarium in Durban or see what SeaWorld is like in Africa and venture to the water park as well; the close proximity of the facilities could just win me over. I also need to treat myself to one outfit from one of the high end stores, but I might opt for a hat and shoe combo since they might last longer/be used for more!
Mozambique: I want to get my scuba diving certification, and the opportunity to do so in the presence of manta rays is almost too much to even dream of right now. Since I was a kid I have loved and been fascinated by the ocean and the many creatures that she holds, and manta rays (with their genial nature) have always appealed to me. I might have to eat rice and beans for half a year, but I am willing to do almost anything to make sure I don’t pass up this opportunity before I leave here. Again seafood is a forgone conclusion. I am also praying they have some excellent dance clubs!
Kenya: So there is a travel restriction on Kenya, but I want to go back. I didn’t think I would want to, but being here makes me miss Kenya a lot. The coast still holds my heart. The Old Man and the Sea in Malindi, the chocolatey concoction on the way to Lamu and having my samosas and omelette treat (I forgot the name of the street food I loved that you could only get after dark in Mombasa). I have my “nimesota” ready and waiting to be used. 
And for after my service I am still being drawn to Asia. I need to go. I am considering doing one of those english teaching programs, mme re tla bona. Ajuaye ni Mungu!

No comments:

Post a Comment