Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Nature of a Name

My Setswana name is Kitso, which means knowledge, and I like it a lot (for obvious ego boosting reasons!). We are encouraged to use our new names as a way to get better acclimated into the community and for some it works really great. In reflecting on how I relate to others in this country and how I view myself, I realized that I am now experiencing the cultural/identity ambiguities that many foreigners feel when they are trying to fit into a new country/culture. 
Being Black and using my Setswana name has meant that I can walk down the street and for the most part go unnoticed. Or I can get into a combi and not be hassled or gawked at, because even though I might not be recognized at Motswana I can still be considered one of the numerous other African immigrants in the country. It is a double-edged sword though, because even though I can bypass a lot of the negatives of being an American here, I also have to deal with very high expectations and less freedom of individual expression than others. There is a small minority that would like me to speak more or better Setswana, and I have had to endure more than a few impromptu language tests (where I found that laughing along does not really help). I have also been reprimanded for not following cultural norms that I am supposed to have known. Just because of who I am I also find myself not talking to people or being more shy, because there is an expectation from both sides that I should try to communicate in Setswana as much as possible. Many people say that Peace Corps provides an opportunity to reinvent yourself or try out different aspects of who you are with no fear that your past history will cloud peoples’ judgements. Also, the likelihood of meeting many of the people you encounter during service is very small (for the majority of people) so the fear of reprisal or future embarrassment can also tempt you into acting in a manner who might not have if you were back home. 
The main point I wanted to make is that I used to feel bad that people from different backgrounds would come to America, and have to change their names or behaviors in order to fit in (my perception). Having dealt with acceptance issues about my culture and skin, I was very adamant that it was wrong to not try and learn the “correct” name and pronunciation of a person, and I would try to find out what was the “real” name of the individual (and try to pronounce it correctly). Now I am on the other end of the stick and I have a whole different perspective of what it means to try and live somewhere foreign. I have people ask me what my real name is and I usually balk at the question; how dare they try to call me a fraud or figure out a piece of me I am not comfortable in sharing. I usually laugh it off and say I don’t have one or that in Botswana my name is Kitso, that’s it. It retrospect it is a very interesting reaction. I am using the name Kitso, I like the name Kitso, but I am still me, I am still Octavius, so what is the problem. I can finally understand that taking a new name does not have to mean that a person is forced to disregard their past history and heritage. It really is not that big of a deal for the most part. The more I live, the more I see how I have held onto superficial perceptions of identity as I means of anchoring myself in this world. From clothes, to behavior patterns and even names we are malleable enough to put on or take off these things without fear of changing the core of our spirit. I still oppose the notion of external pressures forcing a sense of conformity and censorship, but when the action is voluntary who are we to criticize it. We do not begrudge water for changing states, nor do we disregard the fact that its elemental nature stays the same. 

1 comment:

  1. Good morning how are you?

    My name is Emilio, I am a Spanish boy and I live in a town near to Madrid. I am a very interested person in knowing things so different as the culture, the way of life of the inhabitants of our planet, the fauna, the flora, and the landscapes of all the countries of the world etc. in summary, I am a person that enjoys traveling, learning and respecting people's diversity from all over the world.

    I would love to travel and meet in person all the aspects above mentioned, but unfortunately as this is very expensive and my purchasing power is quite small, so I devised a way to travel with the imagination in every corner of our planet. A few years ago I started a collection of used stamps because trough them, you can see pictures about fauna, flora, monuments, landscapes etc. from all the countries. As every day is more and more difficult to get stamps, some years ago I started a new collection in order to get traditional letters addressed to me in which my goal was to get at least 1 letter from each country in the world. This modest goal is feasible to reach in the most part of countries, but unfortunately it’s impossible to achieve in other various territories for several reasons, either because they are countries at war, either because they are countries with extreme poverty or because for whatever reason the postal system is not functioning properly.

    For all this I would ask you one small favor:
    Would you be so kind as to send me a letter by traditional mail from Botswana? I understand perfectly that you think that your blog is not the appropriate place to ask this, and even, is very probably that you ignore my letter, but I would call your attention to the difficulty involved in getting a letter from that country, and also I don’t know anyone neither where to write in Botswana in order to increase my collection. a letter for me is like a little souvenir, like if I have had visited that territory with my imagination and at same time, the arrival of the letters from a country is a sign of peace and normality and an original way to promote a country in the world. My postal address is the following one:

    Emilio Fernandez Esteban
    Calle Valencia,39
    28903 Getafe (Madrid)
    Spain

    If you wish, you can visit my blog www.cartasenmibuzon.blogspot.com where you can see the pictures of all the letters that I have received from whole World.

    Finally I would like to thank the attention given to this letter, and whether you can help me or not, I send my best wishes for peace, health and happiness for you, your family and all your dear beings.

    Yours Sincerely

    Emilio Fernandez

    ReplyDelete