Wednesday, March 28, 2012

One Year Anniversary!

So just two thoughts:
  1. I almost didn’t believe in the mythical one year mark and how PC service would just pick up and things would just start to click. I was becoming cynical about the prospect of ever getting some meaningful projects done, but for some reason this week has seen the breaking of the glass ceiling and I can’t be more happy. It is true there are still challenges, but the way I approach and think about them has changed, which has really affected how I view my service. Now I honestly give the new group coming in words of encouragement, that if you can stick it out during the rough patches there will be some kind of light at the end of the tunnel. Like most people, I find my projects will center around children and for me creative expression is paramount if we want to see behavior change in our communities. As the projects materialize I will explain more about them and how others can get involved as well. 
  2. I have always been comfortable around older people, but I find myself flirting with older women here more and it was just a funny notion to me. This is probably due to two factors: proximity and the forced equality of PC. In America, due to the fact that I was in college and did more academic activities I was usually around people within my own age group and older individuals usually had a leadership or mentoring role in my life. Also, older women in the US are usually more established in terms of their lifestyle (car, house/apartment/nice job/etc) and I always felt like I could not compete with other men, who had settled more into their lives. But being here, we are all restricted to public transportation and in general we all share a similar budget so it is easier to socialize and befriend individuals who are older than I am. I also find that it is easier to build friendships with older local women as well. In certain areas I do feel like I have an “old soul” that best relates to older people, which I probably got from my parents. 
I am making cinnamon rolls tomorrow. I am very excited, my first time doing homemade ones but I will have the assistance of a friend so I shouldn’t mess it up too much. I will definitely take pictures!! Food is an important part of my Peace Corps service!!

No comments:

Post a Comment